Did you know that public speaking is the number one fear in North America? It’s even greater than the fear of death. So if you are concerned about having to speak in front of a crowd, you are not alone.
There are several things you can do to overcome your fear or the discomfort:
1. Try to figure out what it is that worries you most. Is it being judged by others or just making mistakes? Once you identify the actual fear, you would be in a better position to overcome it! You may also remind yourself that FEAR is often just a “False Evidence Appearing Real”.
Remember too, especially when you’re about to speak in front of a celebrating audience, the crowd is with you, ready to cheer you on!
2. Keep your words relatively short. The length of you speech should be determined based on the occasion and the reason you’ve been asked to speak,
3. Be prepared. Practice, practice, practice The more familiar you are with what you’re going to say, the lesser the stress.
4. Learn some breathing exercises that relax your body and mind (for example, inhale to the count of six, hold for a bit, and then exhale to the count of six – with eyes closed. It works like magic). Use the techniques right before you get up to speak.
5. Knowing that you’re about to deliver an entertaining and engaging speech, the will win the audience over is a must. If you have the time and the ability – go for it. But if the idea of writing your own speech is stressful, whether because of time constraints or just because you don’t like to write speeches, then we are here for you!
Contact us and eliminate stress and anxiety. Contact us so that you may look forward to the celebration knowing you’ll be delivering a winner of speech!